Friday, January 3, 2014

Container Store, I quit you (even during your 30% off ELFA sale)

I'm not going to lie, the 30% off ELFA sale hurts. I have so many spaces that I want to ELFA: master bedroom closet, the boys' closet, and the garage. The Container Store keeps emailing me, and then I open the email, see the images with the perfectly organized closets, then I sigh and remind myself that if I continue on this new path, I will be able to ELFA all the spaces I want to next year without any guilt or having to cut my food budget or recalculate everything and put groceries on a credit card. If I choose not to ELFA any of the spaces I want now, then I can save money, have an emergency fund, and go on a vacation this summer. I could be out of debt, so I am going to unsubscribe from the Container Store emails. I will miss them. They make me feel like something is happening in my life.

But that is part of my whole problem; I feel like the retail stores are my friends, and it gives me something to do when I feel bored or lonely. I look at the web sites, maybe go into a store and they help me plan my space, but that is not friendship or community; it is sales, so this week I focused on behaviors that helped me reach my goals.

Better Choices:

1) When I was feeling lonely or bored, I sent a few friends an email saying happy new year.
2) When a friend wanted to pop in at the last moment, I said yes.
3) I discussed financial goals with my husband, and we went to a resale shop to start looking for a ceiling fan, but did not buy anything.
4) I went to a library lego night with my son, and checked out a great book.
5) I unsubscribed from the email lists of three tempting retailers: Container Store (i love you, but I need some space), L' occitane en Provence, and Lowes.
6) I am following the Minimalist Mom's 2014 de clutter program. http://www.theminimalistmom.com/blog/



Although this is only day three, I am feeling fairly proud of myself. I will be really pleased to check in at one week and update on more better choices I have made, but so far, GO ME!


No comments:

Post a Comment